The Shapton Kuromaku Japanese Whetstone #220 Grit (Moss) K0706 is a professional-grade very coarse sharpening stone that belongs to the renowned Kuromaku range. It features a colour-coded system for easy grit identification and is designed to provide quick steel removal in stainless and powder metals.
This #220 grit (Moss) stone is ideal for initial sharpening and reprofiling of dull or damaged blades. It efficiently removes material from the edge, allowing you to establish a new bevel quickly. Whether you're working on kitchen knives or other high-hardness steel tools, this stone will help you achieve excellent results.
Crafted with exceptional craftsmanship in Japan, the Shapton Kuromaku Whetstone offers a Splash & Go design, eliminating the need for soaking prior to use. Its very coarse grit ensures fast and efficient steel removal, saving you time and effort in your sharpening routine.
- Grit: 220 (Moss)
- SKU: K0706
- Whetstone Size: 210 x 70 x 15mm
- Weight: 900g
- Plastic Storage Case Included
- Professional Sharpening Stone
- Made in Japan
To maintain the Shapton Kuromaku stones and keep their surface flat for a long lifespan, we recommend using a lapping plate. Choose from options such as the Jende Industries Glass Lapping Plate, Shapton Diamond Glass Lapping Plate, or the Shapton NAORU cast iron lapping system.
The Kuromaku stone is a Splash & Go stone, so soaking is not necessary. After sharpening, clean the stone and allow it to air dry naturally in a shaded position. Rapid drying can cause cracking, while leaving the stone in water can lead to degradation.
- Q: Which face of the KUROMAKU series sharpening stones should I use?
- A: You can use either face, but we recommend starting on the side where no letters have been printed.
- Q: Recent KUROMAKU stones look different from the designs bought in the past. Is there any difference in spec?
- A: No. The only change was in the printing design, not in the quality or specs of the stones.
- Q: Are any of the KUROMAKU sharpening stones recommended for normal household knives?
- A: We recommend the Orange Medium (1000) sharpening stone and Wine Fine (5000) finishing stone. If you intend to use only one stone, we recommend the Blue Medium (1500) sharpening stone.
- Q: I want to try using "KUROMAKU Purple," but the 'Precautions' state it should be used after "KUROMAKU Melon." Would it be okay to use it for sharpening after "KUROMAKU Yellow" instead, as this is finer?
- A: That would be fine with high hardness steel, but for blades made from softer materials, please do use "KUROMAKU Melon." This is due to the stones' physical characteristics.
- FREE Standard Delivery Over $200
- FREE Customer Pick-Up (Syd Only)
- Same day dispatch until 2PM AEST (Mon-Fri)
Same day dispatch until 2PM AEST (Mon-Fri)
*Delivery estimates provided by Australia Post
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.